I LOVE my Freya longlines, I have Just Flew In, Carys and my newest addition, Patsy. The fit is great, apart from one thing; the bands flip up. I like to wear them as tops with high waisted skirts so this is an issue, it ends up looking much more bra-like when the band rides up. My solution? Put boning in the sides, like in the deco shape, which incidentally, stays put perfectly.
I’m using this as boning, it’s very light, rigid enough to keep the band down but bends when I do for comfort. It’s made of soft plastic, soft enough for me to stitch right onto it with my sewing machine, great for a lazy person like me. The only issue is the ends can be stabby, which I realised after wearing it for a few hours.
1. I cut the boning (with the biggest pair of scissors I can find) into a strip that fits the length of the band, minus the top and bottom seam. I use one piece under each cup, and one at each side wing, and this seems to be enough. Tuck the boning under the top and bottom seams of the band.
2. Using a straight stitch (this is because I don’t trust myself to get it right first time) I stitch it into place, then try it on. With the boning under the cups, be sure to lift the foot of the sewing machine over the underwire to get close with the stitching. [Note: at this point, I’d put a small piece of soft fabric underneath the top and bottom of the piece of boning underneath the cups at the front, experience has taught me that it can dig in and pinch here]
3. Wide zig zag stitch over the top of the boning when it’s in place and comfortable, trying not to interfere too much the the elastic top and bottom of the band.I don’t think it looks too bad from the front, the thread matches and sort-of blends in as seams.
And finally, be brave and show it off. This is not a bra that was destined to ever be worn under a black t shirt…